The Web is home to thousands of diet and fitness blogs, making it difficult for readers to separate the good from the bad. Sitting behind a computer screen and sifting through a multitude of sites is probably not what you want to be doing with your spare time. After all, you are interested in improving your fitness.
A quality diet and fitness blog will keep you enlightened and informed, preparing you for a journey toward optimal health. From amusing personal blogs to expert blogs about important health issues, you will find them all below. While it would be impossible to include every noteworthy health and fitness blog in a list of 100, we feel that these are the most popular and/or unique in the bunch. Rather than attempt to rank these ‘best of the best’ blogs against one another, we have arranged each within its sub-category in alphabetical order.
These blogs focus on weight loss diets, from diet news to reviews of the latest diet fads.
- Best Diet Tips – This blog offers diet tips and recommendations from a woman who has really put her fitness knowledge to the test. After losing 100 pounds and becoming a marathon runner, she offers her insight here.
- Daily Diet Blog – Here, you will find diet product reviews and closer examinations of various diet trends. Some of the information found here may turn you on or off your current diet.
- Diet Blog – This is a popular resource for diet and exercise tips, as well as news and reviews of new diet trends.
- Diet & Fitness Blog – This helpful and entertaining blog is maintained by eDiets.com Senior Copy Editor Dorian Wagner.
- Diets in Review – This is a very handy resource for those trying to find the perfect diet for their lifestyle. Here, the writers bring you the latest diet news, reviews and helpful tips daily.
- Fast Weight Loss Tips – Here, quick and easy weight loss tips are posted with regularity. Topics range from losing belly fat to starting new diet trends.
- FatLadySingz.com – Here, a woman loses weight one diet at a time, reviewing each approach. This is a great way to get the lowdown on the latest diet trends.
- Iateapie.net – This humorous and handy blog reviews the latest diet foods to hit the market. If you are considering on the latest fads at the supermarket, you might want to check here before you indulge.
- Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb – Written by Jimmy Moore, this diet blog is all about cutting out the carbs in your life. Moore lost a tremendous amount of weight on a low-carb diet and passes on his knowledge here.
- Weight Loss Blog – This is a group blog on Families.com that gives helpful tips and support for various weight loss programs. From personal accounts to diet reviews, this is a great resource for those on a diet.
Personal Weight Loss
Some bloggers document their journey through weight loss. The sites listed below are some of the finest personal weight loss Weblogs on the Net.
- All Natural Weight Loss Blog – This frank and entertaining blog is written by “the token fat girl” who is trying to lose weight the natural way.
- The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl – An extension of her book of the same name, Shauna Reid tells us how she lost half her body weight here.
- Fat Man Unleashed – This is a male perspective on losing weight through a healthy exercise and diet plan.
- Fatty Weight Loss – Since 2004, this blogger has been reviewing various weight loss tactics that have worked for him over the years.
- Former Fat Guy – As the name would suggest, this blogger used to be fat. Learn how he dropped 300 pounds here.
- Half Man – My Journey of Fitness – This is one man’s journey to lose half his body weight. Started in January 2007, he chronicles his attempt to go from 380 pounds to 190 pounds.
- John is Fit – This is John’s candid blog about his journey from fat to fit. He chronicles his diet, workout plan and regular weigh-ins.
- Lynn’s Weigh – The Journey Continues – Lynn Haraldson-Bering has lost an amazing amount of weight in the last several years and has been featured on Oprah and The Today Show. Here, she chronicles her weight loss, weight maintenance and life in between.
- Roni’s Weigh – Roni has been yo-yo dieting for 15 years and is sharing her secrets about her most recent (and final) drop in weight.
- Valerie Bertinelli’s Blog – Here is the official weight loss blog of Valerie Bertinelli, who is now on the Jenny Craig program.
Looking for information on eating healthier foods? While the blogs in the “Diets” section focus on weight loss, these blogs are about how to plan a more nutritious eating plan despite your current weight.
- About Nutrition – This nutrition blog is written by Shereen Jegtvig, who holds a master’s degree in human nutrition from the University of Bridgeport in Connecticut. Hosted on About.com, this is a well-researched and regularly updated blog.
- Eat Right, Stay Well – Christine McKinney is the dietician behind this popular Yahoo! Blog. Here, Christine offers tips and tricks on how to become a healthier eater.
- Foods for Life – This blog is written by Tony, an award-winning cook, author, food writer and radio broadcaster. Here, you will find nutrition tips, news and data for a healthier life.
- Healthy Recipe Doctor – From low-fat recipes to recipes designed for diabetics, Elaine Magee shares recipes and advice on this WebMD blog. These healthy meals should please even the most discerning eater.
- Integrative Nutrition Blog – The Institute for Integrative Nutrition is the largest nutrition school in the world, teaching more than 100 different dietary theories. Here, the school hosts a blog that gives you the life skills to integrate healthier living with a happier existence.
- The ND Blog: Notes from the Nutritionista – Monica Reinagel is a nutrition expert who lends her thoughts on healthy eating on this informative blog. From how to cook better to what to eat on the go, you will learn more about healthy living from this blog.
- Nutrition Blog – This blog is part of the Nutrition and Food Web Archive (NAFWA). It offers many tips on nutrition and cooking, as well as other related health-related topics.
- The Nutrition Help Blog – This blog is written by Brad Pilon, author of Eat Stop Eat. Here, Brad shares various tips for healthier eating. He also has a free email newsletter that offers exclusive interviews, research reports, diet reviews and more.
- Nutrition Research Center – This daily health blog covers various healthy recipes, nutritional tips, news and more.
- Nutrition-wise – This Mayo Clinic blog is written by Jennifer Nelson and Katherine Zaeratsky, two licensed nutritionists who really know their stuff. This is a reliable resource for tips on healthier eating.
- Pinch My Salt – This blogger aims to offer healthy recipes using whole, natural foods. This isn’t your average “foodie” blog — it will actually please your taste buds and help you live a long life.
- The Provocative Nutrition Blog – Dina Khader writes this blog. Here, you will read her thoughts and news on cutting-edge nutritional for better health.
- A Weight Lifted – This is a healthy weight loss blog for women who are tired of dieting and just want to eat healthy.
If you are a vegetarian or vegan, the blogs below focus on cooking the most delicious animal-free foods. You will also learn many beginner’s tips if you are considering a veggie lifestyle.
- Eat Air – A Vegan Food Log – From gourmet vegan recipes to popular restaurants that serve vegan foods, this blog offers a lot of resources for those on a vegan diet.
- eat, drink & be vegan – This blog chronicles the vegan cooking Dreena Burton, a stay-at-home mom of two and noted author. Here, you will find some of the most delicious recipes for a vegan diet.
- Fatfree Vegan Kitchen – This blog is written by Susan, a health-conscious vegan who loves delicious meals. Here, you can find a host of vegan recipes that are full on taste and short on fat.
- Groovy Vegetarian – Groovy Vegetarian is a vegetarian lifestyle blog written by Missy, a big animal lover. Here, you will find great tips on vegetarian and vegan cooking.
- Madhuram’s EgglessCooking.com – Here, you will find easy and delicious vegetarian, egg-free recipes for a healthy diet. The beautiful pictures that accompany the recipes will surely make your mouth water.
- Post Punk Kitchen Blog – Here, you can watch some very talented punk rockers cook some delicious, meat-free meals. This is a very unique and highly entertaining blog and concept.
- Savvy Vegetarian – This is an extremely useful blog that provides support for a vegetarian diet and lifestyle. Here, you will find recipes, tips and other pertinent information for a healthy vegetarian life.
- VegCooking Blog – This is a great resource for both new and seasoned vegetarians. It discusses vegetarian recipes, products, restaurants and more.
- Vegan Lunch Box – This is one of the most popular “foodie” blogs on the Net and is incredibly useful to both vegans and non-vegans alike. In fact, it might convince some meat-eaters that they can do without.
- Vegetarian Blog – This blogger also offers vegetarian recipes, resources, links, tips and general health advice.
- The Veggie Table Blog – The Veggie Table is a site for vegetarians as well as anyone interested in healthy eating, animals rights, and the environment. Here, you will find countless resources and recipes.
If you would like a medical professional’s opinion on health and fitness, look to the blogs below. Doctors and nurses write them all.
- Dr. Weil’s Healthy Living – Dr. Andrew Weil is a world-famous health guru who combines both conventional and evidence-based alternative medicine. Here, you will find some insightful advice from one of the leading names in health.
- Fitness & Health with Dr. Gabe Mirkin – This fascinating and useful blog is written by Gabe Mirkin, M.D., and his wife, nutritionist Diana Mirkin. Here, you will find news and tips for a healthier lifestyle.
- Health & Nutrition by Michael R. Eades, M.D. – Dr. Michael R. Eades is the best-selling author of Protein Power. A health care expert in nutritional science, low carb diets and other health issues, he offers helpful advice on this blog.
- Health Journal with Dr. Madelyn Fernstrom – This educational blog is expertly written by the founder and director of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center’s Weight Management Center.
- The Heart Scan Blog – This resource should be of great interest to those getting in shape. Written by Dr. William Davis, it concerns heart disease prevention and reversal. Dr. Davis is a noted cardiologist and author.
- A Hearty Life – This healthy living blog is written by Kendra James, a registered nurse. Here, you will learn more about improving your heart health and overall well being.
- Maria’s Last Diet – Here, Dr. Julie North Schwarz and Dr. Kenneth Schwarz try to discover why some women try diet after diet without success. This site is part psychology and part health advice, making it a fascinating read.
- Whole Health Source – This is a blog about health, food, wholesome living and whatever else captures Stephan’s interest. He is a doctoral candidate in neurobiology and definitely knows a lot about fitness.
These are the best blogs that cover a wide range of physical fitness topics.
- Arthur De Vany – This is an extremely popular fitness blog and for good reason. Here, scientist and athlete De Vany offers his advice on becoming lean, fit and healthy. He is 70 years young and an inspiration to fitness buffs of any age.
- Cranky Fitness – Why a cranky fitness blog? As the writer says, “because most health and fitness advice is too damn cheerful.” Here, you will get a healthy dose of reality and pessimism with some really useful fitness information.
- The Fitness Insider – Adam Campbell is Men’s Health‘s features editor and author of this blog. Here, general fitness and nutrition for men is covered.
- Fitness Blog – This is the group fitness blog from Families.com. Here, you will read personal testimonies about fitness, as well as useful tips and tricks for healthier living.
- FitSugar – This blog is part of a larger network and offers advice for fitness, health and well-being. From exercise tips to celebrity diet secrets, you will find a plethora of interesting posts on FitSugar.
- Lean & Hungry Fitness – Since 2005, this blogger has been chronicling various aspects of fitness. He is not a doctor or noted expert, but he is a dedicated fitness buff who has a lot of useful advice for everyone.
- MH Today – This is a another blog from Men’s Health magazine that cover’s general fitness news and information for men. Regularly updated and informative, this is a great resource for men.
- Male Fitness Blog – As the name suggests, this site offers helpful advice for men looking to get fit. From workout tips to health statistics, this is a great general male fitness blog.
- Mark Sisson’s Daily Apple – Here, blogger Mark Sisson offers health and fitness advice. Always insightful and often funny, this is an interesting daily read.
- MunFitnessBlog – This site is written by Mun, a fitness advocate on his own journey to healthier living. Here, you will receive regular tips for normal people wanting to learn how to lose weight, eat right and be healthy.
- NYC Personal Trainer Joe DiAngelo – Here, a reputable personal trainer offers his advice on fitness, nutrition, workouts and more. If you want advice on healthy living, take it from someone who is really practicing what he preaches.
- NetSweat Fitness Blog – This informative blog offers practical fitness advice, weight loss information and wellness tips. It is the official blog of NetSweat.com, the Internet’s fitness resource.
- Really Useful Fitness Blog – This blog offers the most useful, interesting and current fitness information from all over the Internet. Some of this is functional and other tidbits are just plain fascinating.
- RossTraining.com – Within this blog, Ross Enamait writes about various topics related to physical fitness, nutrition and his general views on the world. There are a lot of inspirational words to be found here.
- That’s Fit – This is an AOL Health blog that offers news, tips and advice for becoming as fit as possible. From celebrity secrets to the latest diet trends, this blog runs the gamut.
- This Life – Monte Ladner, the host of the Fitness Rocks Podcast, updates this blog intermittently. However, his expertise in the field of fitness is not to be overlooked, making this a great fitness blog to bookmark.
- Trying Fitness – This site is written by Eartha, who created the blog as a motivational resource for herself to keep up with exercise and eating right. However, the site has turned into a valuable resource for anyone looking to become more fit.
- Women’s Diet and Fitness – This is an authoritative blog on everything it takes to be a fit, fearless female. Written by “fitness fanatic” Angie Schumacher, a personal trainer who really knows her stuff.
From strength training to full-fledged bodybuilding, the blogs below discuss all the aspects of bulking up and toning a weightlifter’s physique.
- About Weight Training – This weight training blog is written by Paul Rogers, a personal trainer with a background in many sports, including track sprinting, triathlon, marathon, hockey, tennis and baseball.
- IOL Strength and Conditioning – Here, you can learn more about strength and conditioning for a thorough workout. By signing up for a free weekly newsletter, Dave Draper will continue to encourage and motivate you toward your fitness goals.
- In the Gym – Here, personal trainer Jason Paris offers powerlifting, weight training and bodybuilding tips. You will also find his weight training journal on this blog, as well as reviews of various products.
- Inside Bodybuilding – This site offers bodybuilding advice, product reviews, competition previews and more. Those who are interested in strength training will probably find something interesting here.
- Olympia Blog – This group blog is written by and for competing bodybuilders. It offers a unique insight into the world of extreme fitness.
- Real Weight Training – Here, you will find advice on weight training for all types of people. This blog is not just for the hardcore weightlifters. Rather, it gives advice to anyone who wants to benefit from strength training.
- StrongLifts.com – This popular blog aims to help you build muscle and lose fat through strength training. You will find valuable fitness information here to help you get in shape.
- Tom Veruto’s Bodybuilding Secrets – This is the blog of fitness guru Tom Venuto and is geared toward physique athletes, including fitness, figure or even “transformation challenge” competitors.
- Weight Training Exercises Blog – This blog offers tips on weight training and muscle building. It is part of a larger resource on the subject and the author gives away a free weight training ebook to email subscribers.
Blogs, you fill find various tips and tricks for runners. Whether you are new to running or a seasoned competitor, these blogs should be useful to you.
- About Running – This blog is written by Christine Luff, an experienced competitive runner. She has a lot of useful advice to share on this blog, as well as news that may be of interest to runners.
- Ask the Running Doc – This blog should be bookmarked by every runner, as it could save you from some serious injury. Author Dr. Lewis G. Maharam is the medical director of the New York Road Runners, ING New York City Marathon, all of Elite Racing’s Musical Marathons, and The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training program.
- Dean’s Blog – This outstanding blog is written by Dean Karnazes, a “mega-endurance’ athlete and bestselling author. Here, Dean blogs about running, life, and the human spirit.
- For Beginners Only – If you have just started running or are thinking about taking it up, this is an informative blog that can really help you out.
- Half-Fast – This blog is about the funnier side of running. Most runners are overly serious about this challenging sport, so it is nice to have a little levity now and then.
- Jiwok – This blog is available in English or French and focuses on running while listening to music. Music, as many of you know, can really keep you driven during a run. This is a great resource for product previews, inspiration and more.
- Marathon Moms – This blog is written by two marathon-running moms, Dimity McDowell and Sarah Brown Shea. Both are adept sports writers and competitive runners, offering a unique perspective on running.
- Official Nike Running Blog – Keep up to date on Olympic runners and more with the Official Nike Running Blog. Regularly updated, informative and accompanied by great running pics, this is a definite must-read for runners.
- Old Man Running – This is an amazing journal of a 72-year-old runner. He jokingly refers to himself as a “geezer,” but he could put many of us to shame.
- Run Petra Run! – Here, runner Petra chronicles her training and competition, as well as her struggles with any injuries. It is nice to live through another runner’s trials and tribulations.
- A Trail Runner’s Blog – Scott Dunlap chronicles his adventures as a trail runner here. He is a natural writer and offers some great accompanying shots with his entries.
A related issue to diet and fitness is a person’s body image. Below are the top blogs that discuss body image issues, from eating disorders to “fat acceptance.”
- Big Fat Blog – This blog discusses body acceptance in a weight-obsessed society.
- Breaking the Mirror – This blog offers information and support to those who are affected by eating disorders.
- Digging Me Up – This frank and touching blog is written by Jeanne, who is recovering from an eating disorder and other self image problems.
- ED Bites – Written by Carrie Arnold, a science writer who is recovering from anorexia nervosa.
- The-F-Word – This blog is all about food, fat and feminism. Say goodbye to your unhealthy body image by reading this blog.
- Feed Me! – This is one woman’s views on food, eating, body image and weight.
- Good With Cheese – This is one woman’s journey to accept her natural curves and stop battling with the scales.
- Our Bodies Ourselves – Our Bodies Ourselves (OBOS), also known as the Boston Women’s Health Book Collective (BWHBC), is a public interest women’s health education, advocacy, and consulting organization. This blog aims to help women everywhere love the bodies they are in.
- Weighing In – This is Dr. Trisha Gura’s reflections on body image, eating and culture.
- The Weighting Game – This site is written by the author of Locker Room Diaries: The Naked Truth About Women, Body Image, and Re-Imagining the “Perfect” Body.
Did you enjoy this article?